Fake versions of adverts were found in late November, with the goal of infecting computers with malware. Known as Boaxxe/Miuref and Kovter, the ads were seen on web pages and emails, directing a user to counterfeit online stores that run malicious code.
Here are some helpful tips on reducing your risk of future attacks:
- Avoid clicking on advertising, especially within a corporate/work environment.
- Avoid clicking on email links.
- Take steps to protect your identity.
- Keep anti-virus/malware websites up to date.
- Change passwords regularly and/or turn on two-factor authentication.
- Keep your operating system up-to-date.
Nelson Clemente (BEng, ISO27032)
getNEXT – Systems Engineer, Cyber Security Awareness